Resources for Identity Theft Victims

What to do if your information is stolen
If you are a victim of identity theft, if you've lost personal information or identification or if it has been stolen from you, take these steps as soon as possible. Taking these steps quickly can help protect you.

Financial accounts
Close credit card and bank accounts immediately. Ask that these accounts be processed as "account closed at customer's request" to avoid negative reporting to credit bureaus. Put stop-payment orders on all outstanding checks that may have been written without your knowledge or permission. When you open new accounts, place passwords on them. Don't use passwords including your mother's maiden name, your birth date, the last four digits of your Social Security Number or phone number or a series of consecutive numbers.

Social Security number
Call the toll-free fraud number of at least 1 of the 3 nationwide consumer reporting companies and place an initial fraud alert on your credit reports:
Equifax: 800-525-6285
Experian: 888-EXPERIAN (888-397-3742)
TransUnion: 800-680-7289

An alert can help stop someone from opening new credit accounts in your name. In addition, notify the Social Security Administration's fraud line at 800-269-0271.

Driver's license
Contact the agency that issued the license or other identification document. Follow its procedures to cancel the document. Ask the agency to flag your file so that no one else can get a license or any other identification document from them in your name.

If you suspect that your mail has been stolen or diverted with a false change-of-address request, contact your local postal inspector. You can obtain the address and telephone number of your local postal inspector by visiting the U.S. Postal Service website.

Collection agencies
If you are contacted by a collection agency about a debt for which you are not responsible, immediately notify them that you did not create the debt and that you are an identity theft victim. Follow up with the collection agency and creditor in writing and include a copy of your police report.

Federal Trade Commission
File a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission (FTC). By sharing your theft complaint with the FTC, you will provide important information that can help law enforcement officials across the nation track down thieves and stop them. The FTC can also refer your complaint to other government agencies and companies for further action. You can file a complaint on their website,, through their identity theft hot line, 877-IDTHEFT (877-438-4338), or by mail: 

Identity Theft Clearinghouse Federal Trade Commission 600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW Washington, DC 20580 

Involve the police
If your information has been stolen, file a report with your local police. If another crime was committed, such as your purse or wallet was stolen or your house or car broken in to, report it immediately to the police.

More information
If you need more information regarding identity theft or what to report a crime, call 970-522-3512

Back to Top

Powered By Revize Login