Mileages of Walking Paths
Walking is one of the best exercises of all. All you need is a comfortable pair of shoes, and you’re off! Some great places to walk and relax in Sterling include Pioneer Park Trail, Columbine Park Trail, Wisdom Park Trail and the Overland Trail Recreation Area. Sterling’s multi-use trails, especially in Columbine Park, are getting busier all the time. Our trails are open to walker, joggers, skaters, and bicyclists, of all ages and abilities. In order to accommodate this wide range of users, we must all observe a few simple rules:
Rules for Multi-Use Paths
- Ride – Skate – Walk on the Right
- Ride, skate or walk with the flow of traffic, as far to the right side of the trail as practical.
- Ride – Skate – Walk Single File
- Don’t block the trail. Groups should be in single file when other trail users are present and should never use more than one-half the trail to allow for flow of traffic.
- Control Your Speed!
- Obey speed regulations. Slow down and use caution when approaching or overtaking other trail users. The trail is not a racetrack.
- Before passing another trail user, be courteous and make your approach known well in advance. A friendly greeting “hello, passing on your left,” works best.
- Faster users yield to slower users
- Bicyclists and skaters yield to walkers
- Bicyclists yield to skaters
- Respect all other users
- Always ride or skate within your abilities
- Always wear proper safety equipment
Facility Use Permits
Facility Use Permit
If you are planning an event in any of our parks, please complete a facility use permit available from the Department of Parks, Library and Recreation, Centennial Square. The completion of this permit will assure you that park operations and maintenance will not take place during your event if possible. There is a $35.00 charge to complete this permit.
Disc Golf Course
PIONEER PARK DISC GOLF
Pioneer Park Disc Golf Agreement
Disc Golf Information, there is a map (which is currently being updated), the Rules, and a score sheet for you convenience. To Rent the Disc Golf Course for a Tournament please bring the form into the PLR Department at City Hall.
Sterling’s parks are extremely popular and the visitation continues to grow. Along with that, the number of dogs accompanying their owners to the parks has also increased. We would like to remind all dog owners that their pets must be kept under control at all times while visiting the park. Dogs must be on a leash at all times. Please do not allow your dog to jump up on other visitors or to run at large. Also, dog owners are required to clean up after their pets in all City parks. Please be courteous to all park users and make sure that your pet does not infringe upon the enjoyment of others.
IT’S A DOG’S WORLD at the Overland Trail Recreation Area. Owners must be in control of their pets but leashes are not required. Dogs are also allowed to go swimming, but humans must remain on the shoreline.